Paper Trail: Parkersburg News and Sentinel Staff Win Publicity and Information Awards | News, Sports, Jobs
PARKERSBURG – The Parkersburg News and Sentinel advertising and editorial departments received awards in the annual Better Newspaper competition sponsored by the West Virginia Press Association.
The Parkersburg News and Sentinel advertising department took second place in the Division 1 advertising contest while the editorial department won 19 awards, including two first, four seconds and 13 third, mostly for pandemic coverage. COVID-19 in 2020.
“, Jim Spanner, editor, said.
The importance of the awards is that the newspaper articles were judged by other members of the press, according to Spanner.
“The best thing about these annual awards is that we are recognized by our peers”, he said. “Our readers and advertising partners deserve a quality local newspaper and our award-winning staff work hard every day to produce just that.”
The advertising department received the advertising of the year award for advertising, “Seven Springs – Remember that feeling.”
“It takes a team to be successful and we have a great team”, Lisa Northcraft, director of advertising, said.
Steven Allen Adams of the Editorial Department received a top spot for the News Feature category and staff received a top spot for Best COVID-19 Stories.
Individual newsroom winners included Adams, Evan Bevins, Candace Black, Terry Estep, Jess Mancini, Christina Myer and Amy Phelps.
“Receiving these awards from judges working in other media markets confirms that our team here in the newsroom is giving it their all, day in and day out, for our readers.” Myer, editor, said.
The Press Association represents newspapers in West Virginia.
“We are so proud of our newspapers and members of our staff and delighted to announce these editorial and publicity honors” said the association’s general manager, Don Smith.
* Steven Adams, native of WV retires from US Supreme Court, 1st, Best News Article
* Staff, COVID-19 entries, combined into one, 1st, best COVID-19 coverage
* Steven Adams, Stopping the Next Generation of Homelessness, 2nd, Best Reporting
* Sports Staff, 2020 Pigskin Preview, 2nd, Best Sports Special Section
* Jess Mancini and Amy Phelps, Public Warning, 2nd, Best Illustration, Cartoon, or Graphic
* Sentinel news and staff, Serving our readers, 2nd, Community service
* Christina Myer, 3rd, best news columnist
* Evan Bevins, city lawyer retires, 3rd, best report
* Terry Estep, Headlines, 3rd, Best Headlines Writing
* Candice Black, 10 year old hero, 3rd, best report
* Candice Black, Sistersville ferry, 3rd, best report
* Steven Adams, Virgin Hyperloop center, 3rd, best breaking news coverage
* Steven Adams, GOP WV Sweep, 3rd, Best Reporting
* Steven Adams, School re-entry metrics, 3rd, Best Legal Affairs Reporting
* Steven Adams, Radio PSAs Cost Taxpayers $ 90,000, 3rd, Best In-depth or Investigative Report
* Sports staff, Honoring Spring Sports Seniors, 3rd, Best Sports Special Section
* Sports staff, Sports page from March 22, 3rd, best sports pages
* Amy Phelps, A Helping Paw, 3rd, photo essay
* Sentinel News and Staff, April 11th homepage, 3rd, best homepage.
* Art Smith and Patty Kehl, Local Souvenirs, 1st, Best Thematic Pages, Retail Advertising
* Staff, COVID related advertising, 1st, COVID related advertising
* Staff, Pigskin Preview, 1st, Best Special Section, Sports
* Personal, Thanksgiving Dinner, 1st, Best Unique Black & White Advertising, Quarter Page or Less
* Personal, The eyes MD, 1st, Best single ad in black and white, Quarter page or less
* Personal, Bobcat, 1st, Best Single Black & White Ad, Quarter Page or Less
* Personal, Passion for care, 1st, Best spot color advertising, Half page or less
* Personal, MMH Expect More, 1st, Best Full Color, Half Page or Less Ad
* Personal, Seven Springs: remember that feeling ?, 1st, best ad campaign, half page or more
* Staff, WVU Medicine, Thank you to our community heroes, 1st, Best COVID-19 related publicity
* Patty Kehl, 2020 WVSSAC Football Playoffs, 2nd, Best Theme Pages, Retail
* Staff, WVU Medicine Protected, 2nd, Best Static Online Advertising
* Personal, Readers’ Choice ballot, 2nd, best single ad in black and white, more than a quarter page
* Art Smith, Local Souvenirs, 2nd, Best Newspaper Promotional Campaign
* Art Smith, Books Make Great Gifts, 2nd, Best House Listing
* Personal, MMH This is what we do, 2nd, Best ad half page or more
* Staff, rental accommodation, 3rd, Best thematic pages, Classifieds
* Staff, visit PKB store and dine locally, 3rd, best single ad black and white, quarter page or higher
* Art Smith, Here for you, 3rd, Best Commercial for COVID-19
* Staff, WVU-P Former Rivals, 3rd, Best four-color ad over half a page
* Personal, WVU-P We are here for you, 3rd, best ad campaign, half page or more
* Mills Marketing, Eat Take Out Gives Back, 3rd, Best Agency Advertising