Cary Chinese Lantern Festival sets attendance records in first two weeks


CARY, NC (WNCN) – The North Carolina Chinese Lantern Festival held at the Koka Booth Amphitheater in Cary announced Monday that it has set attendance records since opening in November.

According to a statement from the Booth Amphitheater, more than 56,000 visitors attended during the first two weeks of the festival opening on November 19.

In 2019, the last year the festival was held, that number was 24,280. This year’s two-week attendance is up more than 130% from 2019, officials said.

Last Saturday night set a new overnight attendance record with 8,321 visitors. Booth officials attributed the “mild temperatures” to more people walking through the doors.

The festival was canceled in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. William Lewis, the city’s cultural arts director, said in the statement that it was no surprise this year’s attendance was so high.

“Welcoming more than 125,000 visitors each year, the North Carolina Chinese Lantern Festival is Cary’s largest and most popular cultural event. For many it is part of their family’s annual tradition, ”he said. “Because we had to cancel the festival in 2020, it makes this year’s experience a little smoother. You tend to linger longer, take it all in, so that you don’t take the experience for granted.

The North Carolina Chinese Lantern Festival is in its sixth year and is open from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. until January 9, 2022.

Click here for tickets and information.


Comments are closed.