14 resources to help you financially weather the COVID-19 storm


The COVID-19 pandemic has left many people strapped for cash. Everyone from business owners to families to artists are feeling the economic impact.

But all hope is not lost.

Groups and organizations across Milwaukee and the country are offering financial support and resources to help individuals and families cope. Here is a list of groups offering help.

Did we miss a group offering financial assistance to those in need? Post it in the comments below or email us at [email protected] with the subject line “COVID-19 Financial Aid”.


U.S. Small Business Administration

The Small Business Administration in the United States offers low interest disaster loans to help struggling businesses during this time. If a business has experienced economic difficulties, it can request Disaster loan assistance.

Hmong Chamber of Commerce

The Hmong Chamber of Commerce offers an emergency loan fund in response to COVID-19. Small businesses can apply for a loan from $ 5,000 and up to $ 10,000. The business must have been in existence for at least two years and be located in a low to moderate income neighborhood or be a minority-owned business in Wisconsin. Once the application is completed, the business owner can send it and the other requirements to Yuli Her, the development coordinator, at [email protected]

Brewing city match

Brew City Match offers a grant of up to $ 1,200 to help small businesses cover rent and payroll. It also has a small business emergency loan fund to help cover rent, payroll, and other expenses. Any company within the program area can apply for a grant or loan. The application fee for the is $ 100. To apply for one or the other, click on here.

Energy / Utilities / Mortgage:

Community advocates

Community Advocates are available by phone for Milwaukee residents seeking help with energy assistance, FSET, housing and disability services. To receive energy aid, people are asked to call (414) 270-4653 to make an appointment. For general assistance, call (414) 270-2941.

We Energies

WEC Energy Group, which manages We Energies, recently said it would not disconnect service to any residential customers at this time. If anyone is having trouble paying their bills, they are asked to contact WEC Energy Group to arrange a payment plan. Reach Customer service, residents of residential areas can call 800-242-9137.

Take root Milwaukee

In response to COVID-19, many banks, credit unions and mortgage holding companies have created customer assistance programs, which allow a borrower to suspend their mortgage payments for up to 180 days. Take Root Milwaukee noted that in some cases it is up to the borrower to contact their service agent to request a payment plan. The organization has created a list of banks and contact information for other departments. Visit the Take Root Milwaukee website or call (414) 921-4149 for assistance.


Arts Wisconsin

Arts Wisconsin has compiled a resource list for artists. The list includes relief funds as well as opportunities for visual artists to partner with organizations and share their art.

Imagine MKE

Imagine MKE is raising funds for the MKE Artist Relief Fund, which will benefit Milwaukee-based artists. Artists can request up to $ 500. While applications are currently closed, they will reopen once more funds become available.


Hunger Working Group

The Hunger Working Group has created a interactive map to help individuals and families find the closest dining locations to them.

Feed America

Feeding America continues to work with food banks across the country. Use the pantry locator to find the pantry nearest to you. Some food and beverage outlets have changed their hours or are offering drive-thru services only to minimize the spread of COVID-19.

General help:

IMPACT 2-1-1

The Impact 2-1-1 serves as a starting point and links individuals to services. Individuals can call 2-1-1 or send their postal code by SMS to TXT-211 [898-211].

United Way

United Way of Greater Milwaukee and Waukesha County has launched a COVID-19 Urgent Needs Fund to help its partners, who are at the service of those who need it. If someone needs help, they are encouraged to call 2-1-1.

Unemployment benefits:

Families First Coronavirus Response Act

Under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act Employers must provide employees with paid sick leave and extended family and medical leave for reasons related to COVID-19. Not all employers are subject to the law. For more information, individuals can call 1-866-487-9243 or consult the US Department of Labor website.

Workforce Development Department

Temporarily unemployed people can apply for unemployment benefits. Benefits application can be found from the Department of Workforce Development.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.